Translation is the communication of the meaning of a source-language text by means of an equivalent target-language text.
Etymologically, "translation" refers to "bringing across" or "carrying across". Originated from the latin word "translatio", the perfect passive participle of which is "translatum" or "transferre". Trans implies "to transfer" and "ferre" implies to "to carry to bring across"
Word for word Taking grammatic differences into account Regarding both the source and the target culture
Adequacy: Being enough or giving the same sense in the target language. -There’s something about Mary -Ah Mary Vah Mary
Equivalence: Giving the same massage Don’t teach your grandmother to suck eggs. Tereciye tere satılmaz.
Culture-Specificity: The differences between the source and target cultures. Karnıyarık Whole slitted aubergines with seasoned minced meat filling
Connotativity and Denotativity: Having (or not having) an associated (secondary) meaning of a word. Father Skeleton key Baba/Peder İskelet anahtar/Maymuncuk
* Raising the student’s awareness towards the target culture. * Making students give importance to the semantic equivalance.
1)How do you do? A) Nasıl yaparsın?B) Nasılsın? C) Nörüyon?D) Ne yapıyorsun?
2) Cheese (while taking photo) a) Peynir b) 333 c) Gülümseyin
3) You are very beautiful. (to your darling) a) Çok güzelsin b) Çok güzelsiniz
4)It is raining like cats and dogs. a)Yağmur bardaktan boşanırcasına yağıyor. b) Yağmur köpek ve kediler gibi yağıyor.
5) God bless you! a) Tanrı seni korusun. b) Çok yaşa.
6) Coffees on house. a) Kahveler şirketten. b) Kahveler evde.
7) Wild at heart. a)Delikanlı.b) Kalpte vahşet c) Vahşi duygular
8) A clockwork orange a) Otomatik portakal b) Saatli portakal
REFERENCES YAZICI, Mine, 2005, Çeviribilimin Temel Kavram Ve Kuramları, İstanbul, Multilingual Yabancı dil yayınları. CHESTERMAN, Andrew, 1997, Memes of Translation: The Spread of Ideas in Translation Theory, John Benjamins Pub Co. NORD, Christiane, 2005, Text analysis in translation: theory, methodology, and didactic application of a model for translation-oriented text analysis, Rodopi.